Sunday, August 2, 2015

Me llamo ...

After asking what is the other people's name, you would probably here this reply

Me (I) llamo  (call myself) ... (click on the link for sound)

With the help of the friend in discussion forum, this is trivial to understand now. An interesting question here is why we use Me (accusative pronoun) instead of Yo (personal pronoun). A little Googling solved the problem.

Accusative pronoun means it is being acted on.

In English, it would be wrong to say "Me called", but it is fine to say "call me", it is that second "me" thing that is the "Me" in our Spanish sentence, but in Spanish it is put in front.

Same reason applies to the previous post that we used "te" instead of "tú".

Edit: forget about the Accusative pronoun piece, that is wrong. It is a reflexive pronoun, and advanced concept that is too early to mention here yet, see the llamo becomes (call myself)? That's the reflexive part of the word.

Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment